Sunday, August 4, 2013

Made in canada scam....



I know of a scam someone managed to execute just a few years ago. This fellow, just refer to him as Norm (real name) managed to accumulate somewhere between 1.2 and 2 million Canadian Dollars which he promptly used to buy a luxury home, several businesses and business properties.

His  initial investment was relatively small, just a few thousand dollars. In the end he was fined by the Provincial government for not properly registering a company or the company name he operated with. The fine was a lousy $500, that’s all. When I made a follow up phone call to see how this scam ended up I was told by the provincial officer that the file was closed, the fine was paid and that was the end of it. The officer then remarked that they are too busy to do anything more, being heavily involved to investigate fraud in the construction business .
There were hundreds of what I would call insured parties but the individual  fraud amounts were anywhere from $50 to $ 1,200 per situation. There was no way for the parties to know of each other and therefore the possibility of a class action lawsuit was minimal.

If not for a couple of USA postal inspectors showing up one day at my door I never would have bothered to get involved.
The scam  mastermind rented  office space from me  and after the activity when he moved out  I found evidence in the leftover extensive  paper trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment